August 2018 Newsletter
With five highly successful events under its belt, the Kootenay Blues Society is off and running!
On May 28th the KBS fund raiser at Finley’s in Nelson started the ball rolling with stellar sets from four West Kootenay blues bands. The house was full, the dance floor packed and everyone wore a smile. It was great to see the blues community come together in support of the newly formed society.
July saw the Sonny Rhodes Blues Band play three great shows in the Koots. The highlight of the three-night run, being the show at The Balfour Beach Inn, where Sonny wowed the capacity crowd in the sunshine on the large patio underneath a huge tree. As the lead off track on Sonny’s latest album testifies, “Sonny Rhodes is the blues”. He is one of the last of the old school blues men - still out there beating the highway – and mentor to so many younger players.
Click ---> HERE to an article and interview that Sonny did with local writer, Sean Arthur Joyce, while he was in Nelson.
The three Sonny shows were quickly followed four nights later by an incredible, high energy, inspiring performance by one of the protégé’s. Sue Foley’s sold out show at Finley’s on July 26th was nothing short of spectacular. Backed up by only a bassist and drummer, Sue tore the place apart. From the opening strum of her paisley telecaster, played through a rented Fender Blues Deville, you could tell this was going to be a performance to be remembered. Playing with a thumb pick and bare fingers in a stripped down, Texas style, Sue made no bones about turning the amp up and going for it. She is definitely a guitar hero, but also an enjoyable singer with a sultry vocal style that suits her traditional approach to the blues.
photo - Art Joyce
Writer and journalist, Art Joyce did a great interview with Sue Foley which you can view ----> HERE.
Alabama Mike and Country Pete McGill
Upcoming Blues Society events to feature Alabama Mike and Country Pete McGill in September, with five shows scheduled, including the Slocan Trading Centre on the 6th, Balfour Beach Inn on Sept 7th, Finley’s in Nelson on Sept 8th, The Fire Valley Concert Series in Edgewood on Sept 9th and Lorenzo’s in Enderby on the 10th.
- Alabama Mike from Talladega, Alabama, is the lead singer, harmonica player and front man for the Nashville based Andy T Band. He has also just released a new album of his own, featuring The Fabulous Thunderbird’s front man Kim Wilson; and is the recipient of several past blues music awards including New Blues Artist Of The Year (2010) and Traditional Blues Male Artist Of The Year (2011).
- Country Pete McGill from Texas has toured all over North America and Europe as a bassist, guitarist and singer and is one of the most sought-after bass players in the Bay area. He also fronts his own band, Country Pete McGill and The Cotton Field Blues Band. Together, these two real deal blues men put on and engaging and entertaining show.
In October KBS presents JW Jones at the Flying Steamshovel in Rossland on the 25th and Finley’s in Nelson on the 26th. JW, from Ottawa, has received 6 blues music awards and has been nominated over 20 times. He has released 10 albums - featuring the likes of Kim Wilson, Colin James, Larry Taylor, Hubert Sumlin and Charlie Musselwhite - and has played in 23 countries on 4 continents.
JW Jones will be bringing his trio with him, which includes the 2017 Maple Blues Bassist Of The Year award winner, Laura Greenberg. One of the highlights of a JW Jones show is the Grande finale, when the three musician’s trade instruments and all end up playing JW’s guitar at the same time.
FAVOURITE BLUES ALBUMS OF 2018
from “Make Room for the Blues " on KCR, (no order , C - Canadian )
- David Vest - David Vest (C)
- Sean Poluk - No More Hate (C)
- Sue Foley - Ice Queen (C)
- Judy Brown - Say It (C)
- Suzie Vinnick - Shake the Love around (C)
- Boz Scaggs - Out Of The Blues
- Ry Cooder - Prodigal Son
- Buddy Guy - The Blues Is Alive And Well
- Beth Hart - Front And Center
- John Mayall - Three for the Road
- James Harman - Fine Print
- Victor Wainwright - And The Train
LIVE MUSIC LISTINGS IN THE KOOTENAYS
Aug 1: Bill Lynch and Jon Burden: Nakusp Summer Concert Series, Nakusp, BC
Aug 1: Baker Street Blues: Concert In The Park, Kinnaird park, Castlegar, BC
Aug 2: Holly Hyatt, Jon Burden and Clint Swanson, Gyro Park, Trail, BC
Aug 11: Various local artists: International Blues Day, Finley’s, Nelson, BC
Aug 18: Blues Brothers In Law: Prestige Lakeside, Nelson, BC
Aug 18: Judy Brown and band: Balfour Beach Inn. Balfour, BC
Aug 18: Holly Hyatt and Jon Burden: Grizzly Plaza, Revelstoke, BC
Go to the KBS Live Music Listings ----> HERE
THE KBS NEEDS YOUR HELP
As a new non-profit society, the KBS needs help from the community at large to help with growth and development. We are currently seeking volunteers with non-profit experience including administration, grant writing, minute taking, event coordination, financial and bookkeeping. Please consider attending one of our monthly meetings (www.kootenaybluessociety.com) or email us at email@example.com if you or someone you know would like to volunteer,
See you at an upcoming events - it's Blues In The Koots!